Monday, May 11, 2009

Don't Cave to Your Crave


Last week I had that special chocolate craving that comes once a month, no matter what. I had asked Patrick in advance what to do if the Choco Craving took hold of me and wouldn't let go. Studies have shown that the chocolate and menstruation link is a mystery. We don't know why, we just know the craving exists.

This time was no different. I'd walk through the grocery store and discover my body willing itself down the chocolate aisle (what am I, a zombie?!). And the chocolate aisle is painfully long in my local grocery stores. 

What did I do?

I resisted. I walked down the aisle, got in touch with the need, smelled the chocolate and relaxed. And walked out without buying any chocolate. None. Zip. Zero. Not one bar of chocolate.

During the craving times I got in touch with the desire, the craving. And at one point I had a quarter-sized piece of 70% cacao chocolate and that was it. And I feel damn good knowing that I made it through without caving to my craving.

In other news, my yoga instructor said last week that my plank is kicking ass. So, there you have it. It's not just the food, it's the getting on the mat, too.

And I have to say, knowing that I control what I eat - that my craving doesn't control me - actually means more to me than having an awesome plank. But both are pretty cool.

2 comments:

  1. Great job Gwen, it takes a huge amount of concentration to break a habit like that the first few times. After that it's all good. The next time you eat chocolate it will be on your terms, not on its.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Gwen!
    I had the same chocholate attack around the same time as you. I'm not a big chocolate fan but on the 3rd wk of the PCP only thing I could think of was CHOCOLATE!! but no at all now ;) But I REALLY enjoyed my chocholate cake though for my treat day!! Hehe..
    saya

    ReplyDelete